Senior Reliability Operations Engineer
Column is looking to hire a mission-oriented Reliability Operations Engineer to help us adopt industry standards around our engineering practices. You will be responsible for managing and implementing tooling that keeps our platform responsive and performant. The role is responsible for reliability operations servicing our core public notice platform and will report to Nate Medenilla, Backend Engineering Manager.
What You’ll Do:
– First Week: You will learn about Column’s mission and vision, seek to understand our current software development lifecycle and testing procedures, and begin meeting other folks on the team. We’re a small company that’s growing quickly, so interpersonal rapport is essential.
– First Month: You will learn our unique architecture by working with other engineers to understand our codebase and pain points so that they can be improved. You will implement new features or functionality around our testing, QA, and/or CI/CD.
– First Six Months: You will implement and tune observability tooling to help detect issues. You will transform our CI/CD, testing, and QA platforms into reliable and automated error-free pipelines. You will help codify our infrastructure and execute those configurations during disaster recovery drills or business continuity exercises.
– First Year: You will serve as one of the earliest and most experienced hires on a budding engineering team and will help lay the foundation for building a technical team of consequence. As well as make recommendations for process changes, evangelize best practices and approaches, and plan and implement architectural changes.
Our Ideal Candidate:
– You’re looking for a remote-first role working with wildly talented people who deeply care about their impact on local communities.
– You have 5+ years experience as an Infrastructure Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, Platform Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Systems Engineer, and/or Systems Administrator. Given our current team makeup, we’re looking for Infrastructure, platform, SRE, Reliability, operations or sysadmin experience.
– You have experience with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) — or experience with both AWS and Microsoft Azure as well as a willingness to learn GCP — and Serverless computing. For context, Column is a React app built on Firebase. We do not currently need to manage any servers or containers, which will allow you to focus on higher value areas of the developer toolchain and experiment with cutting edge tooling.
– You have worked in an early to growth stage startup (Pre-Seed through Series A) and have experience with Terraform, Datadog, and Cloudflare. – You’ll standout if you also have experience with Spinnaker, Istio, Github Actions, Jenkins, ELK stack, ANsible, GKE, Kubernetes, NGINx, Docker, Stackdriver, Python, Go/Rust, DNS, networking, and/or Hashicorp products.
– You have strong interpersonal communication skills and can collaborate and communicate effectively with technical and non-technical teammates. You are excited to give and receive constructive feedback to improve your own performance and help teammates grow.
– You thrive in a dynamic environment with rapidly evolving objectives and sometimes ambiguous requirements with the ability to work autonomously and make decisions with minimal supervision.
– You are endlessly curious – Passionate about expanding areas of expertise, learning new ways to do things, and understanding why things are the way they are. You love to get to the root of the problem, no matter where the situation leads, while being resourceful and creative when executing solutions.
– You thrive in a dynamic environment with rapidly evolving objectives and sometimes ambiguous requirements where you make decisions with minimal supervision.
– You have a strong desire to exemplify our operating principles (https://tinyurl.com/yatetao2) — be worthy of trust, do work that matters, never stop learning, intentionally build community, and tell a better story.
– You have grit and really want to work with us — if you do not resemble our ideal candidate, tell us why you’d still be an excellent fit for this role in an optional cover letter.
Compensation and Benefits:
Column is built on the belief that important information should be accessible to the public. As such, we work hard to model this behavior for potential Columnists by including our base compensation in all job descriptions and making our full benefits accessible online (https://tinyurl.com/y8pjqrb2).
– For US-based candidates, we offer a base salary of $180,000 based on experience per year, plus a meaningful equity stake and 401k plan with a 5% match
– For candidates outside of the US, we use a market multiplier and 12-month trailing conversion rate to convert base salary into local currency. We also offer a meaningful equity stake and retirement plans relevant to the country (e.g., pension plan in UK).
– In addition, all Columnists receive healthcare, vision, & dental coverage for them and their dependents
– Unlimited (and encouraged) paid time off with suggested 15-day minimum and 16-weeks paid parental leave
– Multiple stipends for you to invest in a home office setup and pursue wellness activities that make you feel healthy and whole
Column is the first collaborative public notice platform helping publishers, governments, and legal services work together to inform their communities. We are a remote-first public benefit corporation with an in-person headquarters in Miami, FL.
To us, people are everything. Our current Columnists are wildly talented people from around the globe. We support and challenge each other. We address real problems that people face in their communities. We believe that we have the potential to be a generational company that will change the world as we know it. Will you join us?