Headquarters: Kansas City, MO
Nelnet Community Engagement (NCE) is seeking a Team Lead to join our engineering team. Whether you are a seasoned leader, or are looking for your first leadership role, this might be the one for you.
At NCE, we believe in the power of community-minded organizations. We help those organizations grow their impact by making it easy to engage anytime, anywhere. Our mobile-led strategy includes customized mobile apps, communication, online giving, and online learning. We help schools (under our FACTS brand), churches (under our aware3 & CFT brands), & nonprofits engage and grow their communities through text, web, & branded apps.
This position is full-time and is inherently fully remote (but if you’re near one of our hubs in Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake City, Lincoln, or Madison and would like to come into an office some days, that's cool too).
- You hire for the team.
- You conduct regular 1:1s with members of the team, helping track and advance their careers.
- You know your technology's practice area well.
- You design the technical implementation of an epic, and then break it down into small, workable tickets.
- You freely give technical guidance and assistance as needed.
- You dive in to tackle tickets; because it's a small team.
- You coordinate with the several other teams to deliver value to production in an organized fashion.
- Experience leading a team. If you don't have management experience, we can help train you on that skill.
- Experience designing software systems, breaking down epics into tickets.
- Experience with Kanban or Scrum.
- An interest in Human-Centered Design and UX excellence.
Our Tools & Technologies
- Back End: PHP (Laravel and Slim), MySQL, Caching, Queues, Events, & more.
- DevOps: AWS (ECS, Aurora, Elasticache, Route53, & more), Terraform.
- Front End: Vue, Knockout, Webpack, Grunt. Karma, Mocha, Chai, Visual Regression Testing, pa11y.
- QA: Codeception, PHPunit, Chromedriver, Appium.
- Mobile: Swift, Kotlin, Objective-C, Java.
- Misc: Bash, Docker, GitHub Actions, Twilio, Sendgrid, Firebase, and more. We embrace new tech and best practices frequently.
Comp & Benefits
- Annual salary range is $100k - $140k.
- 4.2 weeks ETO + 7 holidays + 4 floating holidays
- Free health insurance (associate-only, bronze plan, meets requirements). Very affordable rates if you add on from there.
- Up to $1.8k in pre-tax HSA wellness incentives & $300 in wellness reimbursements.
- 401k w/ 4% match
- Paid parental leave
- Company laptop provided + remote office setup stipend
- Tuition assistance, up to $5,250 / year
- Matching charitable gifts. 1:1 for most, 3:1 for educational 501(c)3's
Our Hiring Process
- Work sample request
- Chat with hiring manager (30-60 minutes)
- Skills interview with a panel (60 minutes)
- Come help our clients engage and grow their communities
We believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will lead to a better company and better products. We seek to continue our diversity journey and we actively encourage everyone (yes, you!) to consider becoming a part of the team. Our 56 person Impact Platform team is presently: 46% women, 32% POC, 11% LGBTQQIP2SAA, 5% veteran, and 21% neurodiverse. 79% of our team falls into at least one of these categories. We want to be a place everyone can belong and thrive.
Our growing, dedicated team works remotely. This full time position is available for all candidates, including remote. If you live in cities where we have a hub (Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake City, Lincoln, or Madison), and you like occasionally visiting an office, we'll save a desk for you. All candidates need to be eligible to work in the US (Citizen, green card, or other EAD). We have a casual work environment with a collaborative and supportive team dynamic.
No recruiters, staffing firms, or contractors, please.
PS: We've had some deliverability issues with Gmail users lately. If you're using Gmail, please allow all @aware3.com email addresses like this: https://a3a.me/pv9vV
to make sure you get all our correspondence.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/nelnet-community-engagement-nce-team-lead-engineering-manager